Born in Alexandroupolis, Greece on 19 May 1964
- Feb 1990 – July 1993: Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) in Law at King’s College, University of London. Subject: Groups of Companies: The liability of the parent company for the debts of its subsidiary.
- Oct 1990 – June 1992: Master of Economics (MA) on Analytical and Critical Economics at the City of London Polytechnic.
- Oct 1988 – Sept 1989: Master of Law (LLM) on International Business Law at the London School of Economics, University of London.
- Sept 1982 – June 1987: Law Degree at the Faculty of Law of the University of Athens.
- Dec 1989 – Dec 1990: General Registered Representative Examination diploma awarded by the International Stock Exchange of London.
- Jan 1988 – Jun 1988: Courses on Micro & Macroeconomics at the American College of Greece.
- Oct 1986 – Nov 1986: Course on Introduction to Computers at the Greek Centre of Productivity (ELKEPA).
- Sep 1990 – Jul 1993: Scholarship by the Foundation “ALEXANDROS ONASIS” for Ph.D. research at the University of London.
- Sep 1982: Award by the Foundation of Public Scholarships for entering seventh in the rank in the Law School of the University of Athens.
Foreign languages competency
- English: Proficient user.
- French: Proficient user.
- Russian: Intermediate.
- German: Intermediate
- Oct 2017 at present: Professor of Business Law at Democritus University of Thrace, teaching undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Apr 2013 at present: Teaching the subjects “Modern business transactions” and “Insolvency law” at the National School of Judges (civil justice).
- Sept 2012 – Sept 2017: Associate Professor of Business Law, teaching undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Mar 2006 – July 2012: Assistant Professor of Business Law at Democritus University of Thrace, teaching undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Oct 2002 – Jan 2006: Teaching of the subject “Issues of Commercial Law” at the department of Language, Literature and Culture of the Black Sea Countries of Democritus University of Thrace.
- Feb 2000 – Mar 2006: Lecturer in Business Law at Democritus University of Thrace.
- Oct 2004 – Jun 2005: Participation in the shared postgraduate programme of the law school of Democritus University and of the law school of Kapodistrian University on the subject “The general transactional terms in banking transactions”.
- Nov 2010 – present: Managing Partner in D.K. Avgitidis & Associates Law Firm.
- 13 Feb 2000: Appointment as a Lawyer to the Supreme Court.
- 23 Apr 1998: Appointment as a Lawyer to the Court of Appeal of Athens.
- Aug 2011 at present: Member of the Legal Committee of Democritus University.
- Jun 2005 – Jun 2011: Alternate member of the Legal Committee of Democritus University.
- Jul 2007 – Jul 2010: Member of the Technical Committee of Democritus University.
- Jan – Dec 2011: Member of the Committee of Democritus University for the Receipt, Opening and Evaluation of bids for open tender and negotiation procedures.
PARTICIPATION IN COMMITTEES ON EU AND GREEK LAW
- November 2020 – present: Chairman of the Committee of the Ministry of Finance on “Cross-border transformations & mergers”.
- February 2017 – November 2020, member of the Law-Making Committee for the introduction of a special insolvency regime for SMEs in Greece.
- Μarch 2018 – March 2019: Chairman of the Law Making Committee for the modernization of the Law on Transformations, Mergers and Acquisitions.
- May 2017 – November 2017: Chairman of the Law Making Committee on the reorganization of the Greek Energy Market and the establishment of the Greek Energy Exchange (now Law n. 4512/2018, arts. 73 et seq).
- Jan 2017- April 2019: Expert Member of the Working Group of the European Council on the Proposal for a Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council on preventive restructuring frameworks, second chance and measures to increase the efficiency of restructuring, insolvency and discharge procedures (leading to the Directive 2019/1023 EU).
- Jul 2016 – December 2016: Member of the law Making Committee for the modification of Consumer Protection Law.
- July 2015 – November 2016, member of the Law Making Committee for the amendment of Greek Insolvency Law, the works of which have been introduced into Greek Law by virtue of Law n. 4446/2016.
- Dec 2015- Dec 2019: Representative of the Greek State (Min. of Justice) in UNCITRAL Working Group V (Insolvency).
- May 2015 – November 2019: Alternate member of the Professional Sports Committee.
- April 2011 – August 2019: Member of the Board of Directors of the Hellenic Capital Market Commission.
- Jan 2017 – May 2017: Member of the Law Making Committee for the simplification of Bankruptcy Law regarding small enterprises.
- Jul 2016 – Aug 2017: Member of the law Making Committee for adapting Directive 2014/104/EE of the European Parliament and of the Council of 26 November 2014 on certain rules governing actions for damages under national law for infringements of the competition law provisions of the Member States and of the European Union.
- Jun 2014 – Dec 2016: Member of the Law Making Committee for the amendment of Insolvency Law (Bankruptcy Code).
- Jan 2014 – Jun 2014: Deputy Chairman of the Working Group of the European Council for the amendment of the Insolvency Regulation no. 1346/2000.
- Oct 2013 – Jun 2014: Participation as a national expert in the group on preparation of the EC Recommendation on preventive restructuring and second chance for entrepreneurs.
- Jan 2010 – Jun 2011: Member of the Law Making Committee for the elaboration of a Draft Law on the transparency in the insurance market.
- Jan 2010 – Jun 2010: Member of the Law Making Committee for the elaboration of a Draft Law on the simplification of procedures of setting up companies (L. 3853/2010).
- Jan 2010 – Jun 2010: Member of the Law Making Committee for the implementation in Greek Law of the Directive 2007/36/ΕΚ of European Parliament and of the Council on the exercise of certain rights of shareholders in listed companies.
- Jan 2010 – Jun 2010: Member of the Law Making Committee for the Codification of Law 703/1977 on the protection of free competition (L. 3959/2011).
- Sept 2009 – Mar 2011: Regular member of the Hellenic Competition Commission.
Jun 2005 – Mar 2006: Member of the Special Law Making Committee for the implementation in Greek Law of the European Directive 2004/25/EC on takeover bids and the preparation of law n. 3461/2006 on takeover bids.
- Jan 2003 – Jun 2003: President of the European Council’s Working Group on the European Directive on takeover bids.
- Jun 2000 – April 2001: Member of the Committee on the Law for the Insurance from Civil Liability.
- Jun 2000 – February 2001: Member of the Committee for the implementation in Greek Law of the European Directive on Electronic Commerce.
- Jul 1998 – Oct 2003: Member of the Special Law Making Committee for the Codification of the Legislation on Securities and Capital Markets.
- March 1998 – July 1998: Member of the Committee for the implementation in Greek Law of the European Directive on Cross – Border Transfer of Payments.
- Jan 1997 – Nov 1997: Member of the Working Group for the codification of the capital markets legislation
- Member of the Board of Directors of Association of Greek Commercialists.
- President of the Association of Consumer Law Protection.
- Member of the Association of Competition Law.
- Associate of the legal periodical “Chronicles of Private Law”.
- Scientific participation to the periodical “Law of Businesses and Companies”.
- Member of the Academic Forum of INSOL Europe.